Walk Away from Discouragement


I was discouraged and ended up doing 3 things warned against in Psalm 1. This 1-minute devotion explains.

Psalm One's sound advice for overcoming discouragement . . .

Recently I was discouraged. 

I pondered all the worst-case scenarios in my circumstances and became hopeless. 

Psalm 1:1 says: "Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers."

I'd done all three
  • Concentrated on the negatives (walked in wicked 'counsel')
  • Ignored the truth of God's love (stood with sinners)
  • Refused God's comfort (sat in a mocker's seat).
I needed to get up and walk away from self-pity and hopelessness, so I turned to God's love notes (the Bible) and "re-informed my mind."

In her book Telling Yourself the Truth, Marie Chapian says the cause of depression, distress, and discouragement is the lies we tell ourselves. Reading and reciting Scripture doesn't change our circumstances, but it changes our hearts and gives us truth and peace in the midst of difficulty.

© copyright Gail Burton Purath
This devotion was first published July 2, 2011 - the first week Bible Love Notes began sending 1-minute devotions to subscribers.

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet that will help you add joy and depth to your quiet time. Find out more HERE.

I was discouraged and ended up doing 3 things warned against in Psalm 1. This 1-minute devotion explains.


 
I was discouraged and ended up doing 3 things warned against in Psalm 1. This 1-minute devotion explains.

 
 




Bible Love Notes

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's the lies we tell ourselves that gets us in trouble.
    I like how you call the Bible, God's love notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, sigh, its a tough one to do when in the midst of it, to turn first to God, but the best and only solution
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. I was in the same situation. Thanks you wrote this post! It is a real encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im in that situation just now reading psalm 1 is true encouragement

      Delete